Monday, June 16, 2008

Joshua's words

I was in the doctor's office the other day, and waiting FOREVER for the doctor to actually come in, so I probably read every word of every poster on the wall. One of the posters was about child development, and it said that normal development for an 18-month old child is that they can say 8-10 recognizable words. This made me realize that Joshua's language development is really pretty remarkable. So I tried making a list of the words he says (most of them he says often and consistently, though some of them he's only said a few times, but I of course count them anyway!).

So here is the list of words he knows, and he picks up new ones each day (really!)

  • Jesus
  • Car
  • Mama
  • Dada
  • Papa
  • Mamma
  • Banana
  • Mindy
  • Ball
  • Baby
  • Bird
  • No
  • Bath
  • Book
  • Milk
  • Brush
  • Meat
  • Pillow
  • Help
  • Door
  • Yikes
  • Uh Oh
  • Whoa
  • Wow
  • Eww
  • Mmmm
  • Amen
  • Loofah
  • Man
  • Water
  • What's that?
  • Bottle
  • Cracker
  • Cookie
  • Feather
  • Bye-Bye

***Later addition of some words that I forgot, and new ones he has learned***

  • Rowan
  • Bumbo
  • Apple

And then his signs:

  • Yes
  • Milk
  • Eat
  • More
  • Please
  • Thank you

And animal noises that he can make quite consistently:

  • Cow
  • Sheep
  • Duck
  • Elephant
  • Walrus
  • Baby
  • Snake
  • Horse
  • Lion
  • Dinosaur
  • Monkey
  • Fish

That was all - just wanted to brag about my genius baby. He amazes me.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh my goodness...what a talented boy! What exactly does a walrus sound like, anyway??