Sunday, February 17, 2008

Manda's thoughts

Uh oh...see this is what happened with me and my diaries when I was younger. Unless I was in the midst of a seemingly neverending drama about some boy (which apparently was fairly often), I had a hard time writing in my diary because I always felt like there was too much to catch up on. But I don't have to catch up on everything...this is just my thoughts, not necessarily my life story.

Anyway - things are going well! This weekend my parents came down and got to spend some time with us. It was a lot of fun - I'm so glad they were able to come, even though it was for a very short time. I'm so glad that Joshua so far hasn't shown any signs of the "stranger anxiety" that i've heard is inevitable. So we'll see. He's a good baby. We think he's getting some more teeth. He's SO proud of himself for the new skills he's learning with pulling himself up on his knees really easily, and sometimes pulling up to standing. And when we put him up standing next to the couch or one of the dining room chairs, he can sidestep or hold on with just one hand...it's so adorable to see him standing on his pudgy legs. It'll be so crazy when he's walking! He's crawling a lot more on his hands and knees now, rather than his tummy, though he can go FAST on his tummy. We have a long hallway and he loves to race down it shrieking and laughing that he is escaping so sneakily. He loves crawling into the bathroom also - the cold linoleum is fascinating to him. He pulled himself up on the bathtub and then had one of his few tantrums when he knocked the baby shampoo bottle into the tub and couldn't reach it. He was furious that mama wouldn't get it for him, so that was the end of climbing on the bathtub for awhile. His only major tantrums have occured related to his nail clippers. He never used to be particularly interested in them. He wanted to grab them, sure, but never with the incredible desperation that he does now. The hard part with that is that they're sharp, so I won't let him hold them for long now, but I can't just put them away and distract him with something else because I have to clip his nails, ya know? So I'm clipping the nails of a nearly hysterical squirming swatting little guy. It has become a double-teaming event, so that when both mama and dada are there, he's able to be much calmer about the whole experience. i'm grateful that at this point, his tantrums are pretty limited. His personality is really emerging, which is so wonderful, and I'm getting to know a very stubborn little Joshua! My pediatrician warned us that with his red hair, we were in for an adventure. Maybe there is truth in that after all.

So one of the most adorable things to report on this little guy is that other than mama and dada, the only really recognizable word he is consistently saying is "amen." It's mostly the "men" part, but we noticed it 5 days ago or so, and we were like...did he really just say amen? Nooo...well maybe. So now whenever we say prayers, we pay attention, and he nearly always says it! It's so cute. Often he says it a bit early, just to make sure he gets it in there, and then when we say it and look up at him, he has this huge grin on his face, so proud of himself and the praise we give him for this darling new accomplishment. We'll see if he does it at church today - we have only noticed him do it at home.

Things are going ok with the apartments - it's pretty slow right now, which is fine. We were worried that we were going to be evicting someone (this was the reference to cat poop in an earlier post), but the person is actually moving out anyway, so it's much less complicated.

Well my dear baby is waking up, so we'll get him some lunch and then get him ready for church!

I'll try to post more often, and I'll get some pictures up soon.

P.S. Read my husband's newest post - it cracks me up!

No comments: