Friday, February 1, 2008

Food

It is amazing how much of your life revolves around your baby's sleeping schedule for so many months, and then once they get that down (hopefully), the adventure of solid foods begins. Joshua did great at baby foods - rarely did he dislike one so much that he'd never eat it (probably peaches were his biggest dislike, but he'd eat the "peach cobbler dessert" one), and he was happily eating pretty much ONLY baby foods until a couple weeks ago. He had banana sometimes, and yogurt, but was not interested in any other solids really besides all the high priced commercial baby food crackers and puffed snacks and stuff - and Cheerios. So then he decided that he's WAY too mature to let us feed him. That's all fine and good if he'll EAT regular food, but he was rejecting pretty much everything I gave him.

Today was a glorious day! After about the 6th meal where I offered him green beans (his absolute favorite of the baby foods), he FINALLY ate them and really liked them. And THEN he ate peas and pasta also. We got him some freeze dried corn and bananas and strawberries (also commercial baby food stuff that is probably unnecessary...but what is a first time parent to do?), and he likes those, as well as fresh bananas. I haven't tried again with the white beans today - we'll keep up with that one. I think i'm done with offering peaches for awhile because he wouldn't put them in his mouth for the last few days, but today he did and he made this horrible face and threw it on the floor. So we'll wait awhile.

Oh and this is a story I must share. He still has some baby food left, and I haven't been making him fresh meat as of yet (i'm kind of worried I won't cook it enough or he'll choke or something), so i've still been giving him baby food meat. Side note: when he's super hungry or I'm suuuuper patient, he'll open up those stubbornly pursed lips and let me feed him a few bites before asserting his independence again. End side note. Ok, so yesterday I thought I'd try something...he LOVES straws, for who knows what reason. Not just using them, but looking at them, too. Crazy baby. Anyway, I mixed apple prune with turkey baby food and it was really thin (as baby food is), so I cut a straw pretty short and put it in the bowl and he enjoyed his very own turkey apple prune smoothie. Let me tell you - he loved it! Look for this option next time you're at Jamba Juice. yummm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a creative way to get food into a squirmy, hungry Joshy! And he got to do it himself - always a plus from a babies point of view. Way to go Manda!

Sydney said...

And think about the creative menu choices we can do for family Thanksgivings: Apple/prune/turkey jello; Apple/prune/turkey soup; Apple/prune/turkey pudding -- wow!(I'm feeling a little queasy now, so think I'll go have a nice cup of tea...minus the fruits & turkey...)
I'm so proud of you for being such a patient and creative mom. Love you so much!
Mom

Krissy said...

Ahh the things we moms get to look forward to. Do you have a baby food grinder? I love mine. It lets you make anything you eat into safe baby food.

You know, he might be allergic to peaches. If that is the only thing he won't eat, it might be a possibility. Ryan would refuse to eat peanutbuter and would mak ebad faces when eatign it. It ended up that he is allergic to peanuts and all tree nuts. So I would really wait a while before offering him peaches again.