Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sooo...

Well the purpose of wanting to write in a journal the other night was to vent about stuff I'm stressed about, so I think I'll start out by doing that.

Here are the main things I would like to just be worried about (that I already AM...but with the addition of all the apartment management stuff that I wish I didn't have to worry about)...

Taking care of Joshua and being a good mom
Nurturing my marriage and being a good wife
Taking care of our home (cleaning, laundry, millions of other neglected things)
Cooking what I know how to cook and learning to cook more stuff
My church calling and responsibilities
Staying in touch with family and friends
Keeping track of and working on our budget
Getting insurance in order (health, life, renters, car, etc.)

But here are all the things with this job that I have to worry about on a daily basis:

Doing tons of weekly and monthly paperwork about the status of things and our earnings requests
Doing a lot of daily accounting and paperwork for all of the rent checks etc. that we receive (at least for the first two weeks of the month)

Doing paperwork as people tell us they're moving out
Contacting at least 4 vendors (cleaning, carpets, painting, blinds) for each apartment coming available (and I think we've had to fill 15 of our 30 in 5 months)
Signing paperwork after each vendor is done in the apartments (that alone would be at very least 80 knocks on the door)
Documenting, filing, and sending in all of that paperwork
Creating and putting up advertisements for the apartments
Showing an empty apartment or sometimes our apartment whenever people come
Taking, checking, sending in applications
Being there to answer the phone and get the faxes when Rental Screening sends it back
Calling the people back
Taking phone calls, emails, and knocks on the door of people interested in the apartments

Taking calls, emails, or verbal or written maintenance requests when appliances etc. have problems
Calling appliance companies/plumbers/electricians/pest control/maintenance workers/etc. to come and fix them (this also happens when apartments get turned over and also, Nathan tries to do as many of these things as possible)
Worrying about these getting done and balancing what Nathan does/other vendors do/follow-up/paperwork/documentation/etc.
Often going with the repair person to the apartment to let them in and/or be in there with them while maintenance is performed. I do this less now that I used to - now I often just open the door and give them the key
Contacting our boss when appliances need replacement
Being there when those delivery people come and letting them in/giving them the key/signing the paperwork

Making sense of what the previous managers did and some of the messes they left that we had to sort out
Creating new filing systems for pretty much everything
Creating filing systems that should have been there but never were (for 10 years!)

Creating parking permit system, getting vehicle info from everyone, documenting assignments of permits, distributing permits, reminding residents about permits and parking policies, giving parking violations, getting yelled at for giving parking violations

Creating, printing, and distributing newsletters each month
Creating, printing, laminating, posting informative signs outside our apartment, as well as various closed signs (for the day, until such and such time, or for the evening)

Taking photos for, creating, printing, keeping stocked outside our door full color flyers
Filling information out on, folding, and keeping stocked brochures

When new residents move in, getting together all of this stuff:
Filling out many parts of 3 page rental agreement
Filling out parts of 3 addendums
Filling out stuff in the Rules & Regulations handbook
Filling out Recycling Notice
Labeling new file
Creating new ledger card
Filling out new check-in/check-out form after noting conditions in the apartment
Assigning parking pass
Keys
Business card
Recent newsletter
Then we have to go through all of this with them, get their money, and walk through the apartment noting damages they see

It's frustrating because there is so so much more.

See what I mean?

I just want to be able to be at home and take care of my family and my calling at church.

It made me tired writing all of that - maybe it didn't help.

Oh well. Off I go.

5 comments:

Sydney said...

Hey, MandaPanda (my wonderful daughter)!
Your list of job responsibilities is a really good thing to have posted. It will be there to remind you how much you've learned and done in just a few months.
And when you layer all those tasks onto your family, church, and home duties and joys -- it's stressful and exhausting for sure, but also shows a picture of a woman who is an incredible and successful juggler. Dad and I are so proud of you! Suggested new mantra: This won't be forever.
With so much love,
Mom

Krissy said...

Wow manda! That is so much to do, I won't blame you if you go insane. I seem to barely manage our home life and child on a daily basis, I can't imagine adding the stress of appartment managing as well. But look at the bright side...you are able to stay at home with your family and watch everyone grow. If you worked outside the home, you would have Joshua in daycare for a good 6-8 hours a day and your home would still be messy and upside down from being too tired to do any work on it. But I totally feel your stress. I give you major kudos for doing it all.
love you and miss you. Can't wait to see you at Christmas.

Rebecca said...

I'm stressed out just from reading that! Can't imagine actually having to do all those things...you're amazing.

Anonymous said...

Wow...Wow. Its hard to know what else to say! :) you have so much on your plate but I think you do a good job of prioritizing and knowing what's really important to you. Even if your time is taken up by other things it is important to remember what matters most to you and I think your doin pretty good! I am amazed by you! Can't wait to hang out tomorrow- love ya,
Amber

PS- reading your mom's comment almost made me cry. :) gotta love her.

Tracy said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! There is so much to your job! Doesn't your "previous life" seem like such a simple task, now? Mine sure did - before kids and husbands and jobs and homes and myriad of other things that get us out of bed before noon each day. Ha. Hindsight, I suppose. I love that you are doing it all, though. You have a Super Mom and it's only understandable that you become one yourself. And she is so right- it's just a season. A crazy, boot camp season that will prepare you for the road ahead.