Tuesday, November 13, 2007

genius

So I mentioned before that during my first "Amanda time" at the cake place, I left my coat and didn't go back to get it for a week. So I went back to have some more Amanda time and some cake. I got my coat and felt silly with the employees looking at me..."oh THERE's the genius who left her coat here all week" and then settled down to some lemon cake and my book. About 40 minutes later, I finally took a look at the bill and pulled out my wallet...except I didn't have my wallet. I've forgotten my wallet before, but at stores where I've just had to leave something at the counter while I get my wallet, or just put it back. It's hard to put back the cake that i've already eaten. My waitress was helping people up at the counter for about a hundred years while I sat there worying about what she'd say. I'd texted Nathan and he called back, so i was planning on just going home and getting my wallet and coming back to pay for it. However, when I told the waitress what happened, she was like, "oh it's fine...it's on me...don't worry about it." I was mildly stunned, but she was very definite about it. Strangely I had a ton of change in my purse - over $3, so she said she'd certainly take that, but to not worry about it. I told her I'd be fine with driving home and getting it - that it'd probably take me 15 minutes. Anyway, she was very kind and I was very grateful. I thanked her a lot and told her if I came back next week and did the same thing, she'd know I was lying. She said if I do the same thing next week, she'll make me drive home and get my wallet. I will go back WITH my wallet and leave her a big tip AND bring my coat home. Then I'm planning to start going somewhere that doesn't cost about a billion dollars per piece of cake, even if the people working there are really nice.

No comments: