Tuesday, January 1, 2008

poor baby

Doesn't it just color your mood so much when your darling little baby is crying in the background at the extreme unfairness of being all alone in his crib (might I mention sleepy, in a nice warm room, in clean pjs and (very recently) clean diaper, with a little tylenol for teething, full from solid foods as well as milk from mom)? Nathan has been gone for quite awhile today and won't be home for hours. He's picking up his parents and Mindy from the airport in Portland, but he left around 2pm to go pick up the car in Lafayette (and drop off all our Christmas stuff in the storage room), do some errands, and then spend a few hours in Battle Ground with Derrick. I think that the last flight gets in around 10pm, and then there is baggage to pick up, the drive back to Lafayette (about an hour), then the drive back here (about 40 minutes), so I definitely hope to be asleep when he gets back. I feel bad for him cuz he has to work tomorrow morning, but hopefully he can sleep in a little.

Anyway, hopefully my little bugger will go to sleep soon so I won't feel so sad. Sometimes you can't really do anything else, though, ya know? I mean, he's been struggling with going to bed at a decent hour for a couple weeks since his schedule got turned upside down during the holidays, and we've had some late nights in the last week also. But it's time to get back to a decent bedtime. So once he's clean, warm, full, and sleepy, he's going to need to go to bed. Maybe he's slowing down a little...now it's just whining. It'll be horrible when he can cry for mama or dada in a few months.

Well, I do want to write about Christmas and how much fun it was!

On the 17th, we celebrated an early Christmas with Nathan's parents, Mindy, and Clarissa, and had a delicious dinner and opened some gifts. I really liked that - we had a good time and I'm really grateful that they live close, so even though they went to Texas this year, we were able to spend part of Christmas with them. I know we're very blessed and that not everyone got to do that, so I'm definitely grateful. It was a very good time until it got kind of late and Joshua got sick. He had a bad fever and then threw up all over Nathan :c( The doctor said to just keep an eye on the fever, and call again if he seemed to be getting dehydrated or if his fever got much higher. The next day he wouldn't do a lot of sleeping or eating, but by the day after that, he was doing just fine.

On the night of the 20th, we left for Washington. The drive up went pretty smoothly, and though we did have some pretty sleepless nights, Joshua did amazingly well with all the tons of people he interacted with and how disrupted his schedule went. He didn't have any major meltdowns (except in the car), but he just couldn't really sleep at night. But enough of the stressful stuff!

We had a great time up at my parents' - we got to spend a lot of good time with them, have some good talks (it's not a really good visit unless there is at least one good talk), and of course eat some very delicious food! The first night we went out to dinner while Mom babysat Joshua and that went really well. She sang him to sleep and he was sleeping quite happily on Grandma when we came home. She was able to sing him to sleep in her arms two more times, I think, during the visit, and Dad actually sang him to sleep on Christmas day and Joshy took a nice long nap in Grandpa's arms on the couch at Aunt Lynn and Uncle Mark's. Christmas day itself was actually one of his most difficult days - but he was happy to see Chloe, though, as Kris wrote on her blog, I think he was a bit shocked at how excited she was to see him! As they get older, they'll have a lot of fun playing together, and I really look forward to that. Hopefully all four little cousins (and more, of course!) will get to see each other often, although I know it's really hard.

Joshua LOVED the Christmas tree that Mom and Dad had at their house. It was a truly beautiful tree - and huge! He loved to pull things off of it, and pull on the lights and garlands and ornaments. The tree he'd orginally paid no attention to before we left, he was VERY excited to see when we came back home to our apartment. He actually was pretty devastated two days ago when he crawled over to the table it was on, and had me pick him up to see the tree...he had the most excited look on his face, and then saw that it had been taken down, and he got so sad. It broke my heart :c( Poor guy. I told Mom this on the phone today and she offered to get him a tree for his bedroom, but I said that I think he'll bounce back ok, but thank you Grandma!

Dangit, he's been crying for half an hour now - I think I'll go see if I can calm him down...I think I'll just post this and post more later.

No comments: