Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day three

Today I have been doing a lot of tracing and cutting, but no sewing yet.

Both the boys are down for their naps, so it's a good time to do some work on this, but I had to make myself get a bunch of the apartment work done first: make 6 phone calls, sort out our online accounting challenge, schedule a plumber to replace a garbage disposal, schedule the turnover vendors for an apartment coming available, make new flyers and brochures and put them outside, respond to and file various emails, and get a mailing for a resident ready to go. There is more that could be done, but nothing else that MUST be done for work today, so now I feel free to do some crafting.

Off I go...

:::BIG time lapse:::

As of 11:35pm, I had completed 3 lettuce leaves and a green frog. One of the lettuce leaves will be sewn to the playhouse, and the other two will velcro on, so Joshy and Henry can pick the lettuce. They are bright green on one side and dark green on the other, with some wax paper in between to make them a bit crackly. I'm sure it's been done before, but I was proud to think of it ("it" meaning the wax paper...not the lettuce - that was from Jill's playhouse) on my own tonight. The frog will also velcro to the playhouse. I like him a lot. When I did a Google image search for green frog, Joshua really wanted to use this frog umbrella picture, rather than what I chose for the frog template.
Sometimes I overrule his ideas. It's for the greater good - I hope he'll appreciate it later.

I have a bunch of stuff (two apples with stems and one carrot with greens) cut out and ready to be sewn together...I just despise sewing the velcro rectangles on things...I need a better thimble and to make sure I use a strong needle. I bent one yesterday. It took me until velcro piece number 5 to think to pin the velcro on before starting to sew. *sigh* These are the kinds of things I would think of...if I already knew anything about sewing. Oh well. So I didn't pin 4 of them...there are a LOT more to go.

6 comments:

ATB said...

Rats, I lost my first comment - quickly, Judy G at work collects frogs and is always trying to downsize. You might want to check w her to see if she's looking to give away anything appropriate for the project. Skippy knows her... I've got her phone # if you want it. Terry B/Salem

Tracy said...

Ok Manda, you have to call me today and we need to talk about 1. Your magnetic menu planner, 2. bent needles and thimbles, and 3 your playhouse and crafty pursuits! Among other things, of course...but you were on my list yesterday and it didn't happen, so let's try it one more time!
By the way, I LOVE how your stuff is turning out! I come back each morning excited to craft and then remember (as at the beginning of your post) that I do have "other things" that need to be done. Boo.

Rebecca said...

Wow, it all looks SO cute! Great job. Violet and I planned our "playhouse" the other day. Can't wait to get started!

Frank and Evelyn said...

The pictures are darling but they're even better in real life.

Amanda Palmer said...

Terry - thanks! I don't think we're needing any more frogs right now, but I'll keep Judy in mind if we do!

Tracy - I planned to call you yesterday, and then Nathan's parents came over for a visit on their way home from the airport, so I'll try to give you a call today! We definitely need to chat!!

Becca - thanks!! I'm worried about you making one, too...cuz you have great sewing skills and it will probably be way better!

Evelyn - thank you - I was so excited to show them off to you. I haven't had many people to show them off to - thanks for coming by yesterday!

Trillium Fairy said...

The froggy is so cute! These are looking so good! :)